2013/11/24

Ubuntu 13.04 dual boot with Windows 8 (secure boot & UEFI) succeeded

This post is an update of my earlier post, where I mentioned the issues associated with installation of Ubuntu to dual boot with Windows 8 pre-installed laptop (Sony Viao SVS1312).
After my previous attempt, as my Win8 was corrupted, leading to a completely new installation including data loss, I was bit disappointed about this secure boot and UEFI setup that microsoft arranged with the manufacturers. Especially Windows 8 pre-installed laptops, there was no way out to install any Linux distros which does not buy this 'secure boot signature' from Microsoft.

The following two ubuntu pages were very helpful in my case. A detailed reading of these pages could solve most people's problem in this regard.
1) installing-ubuntu-on-a-pre-installed-windows-8-64-bit-system-uefi-supported
2) UEFI

Finally I got some time to try once again, but this time I recorded the whole process and made a video out of it. Thanks to camstudio, audacity and virtualdub (opensource softwares) for wonderful help through these softwares.

See the video and share it. Make sure to back-up your windows 8 before any installation attempts. Please comment your results.


Some thoughts:
- Previously I was even failed in my attempt using Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit DVD, which definitely has the secure boot+UEFI key in it. Now I suppose, that could be since I had more than (or equal to) 4 primary partitions already in my hard disk.
- Or I disabled the secureboot, before running the 'boot-repair'.

- Or I simply messed up the manual partitioning in Ubuntu live mode.

I think it's a safe bet to,
- first shrink your current drive and make one block of free space in the hard disk (8 - 20 GB minimum) and let Ubuntu do the partitioning and installation automatically.


No comments:

Post a Comment